Re: Free, Multi-Platform Accessibility Analysis Tools

From: Nick Kew <nick@webthing.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 01:59:27 +0000 (GMT)
To: Kynn Bartlett <kynn@idyllmtn.com>
cc: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

On Sun, 13 Jan 2002, Kynn Bartlett wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> As you know, I teach an online course in web accessibility through
> the HTML Writers Guild (access.idyllmtn.com/d201). This is week
> two currently; until this session of the course, week two's exercise
> has been to download and use Bobby.
>
> However, Bobby is no longer free, and I can't justify requiring my
> students to pay $99 extra, beyond the course fees, to complete the
> course.  So I am looking for a replacement for Bobby.

It's a while since I'd have recommended Bobby to anyone.

Have you considered the Schematron?  There's a WAI schema that
specifically highlights the WCAG, although it wants a little more
thought than the original author's demonstrator.

Otherwise you might consider installing a web-based tool locally.
That'll get round the cross-platform constraint.

> PS:  I'm personally very disappointed with this, and it's what led
>       me to lament the "commercialization of accessibility" last
>       month.  The fact that there are no longer any freely available
>       tools for web accessibility is, in my opinion, a major setback
>       for The Cause.

Find me a sponsor, and tell me what tools you want!

--
Nick Kew

<URL:http://valet.webthing.com/>