Re: tips: trimming search URLs

I can set word wrap to null too.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Vadim Plessky" <lucy-ples@mtu-net.ru>
To: "Al Gilman" <asgilman@iamdigex.net>; <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Sent: Sunday, January 13, 2002 9:11 AM
Subject: Re: tips: trimming search URLs

On Friday 11 January 2002 22:17, Al Gilman wrote:
|   At 12:45 PM 2002-01-11 , Simon White wrote:
|
>http://www.google.com/search?num=50hl=en&lr=lang_en&q=%22designing%22+%
2
|   >2dy
|   slexia%22+webbtnG=Google+Search
|
|   His post was excellent.  This is not a complaint.  He just happened
|   provide a good example.  Can I step up on a soap box and still speak
| softly?
|
|   I was able to reproduce his search with the URL spelled as
|
|   http://www.google.com/search?q=designing+dyslexia

%22 is a *special character", therefor quoting it in URL requires
escaping (%
followed by hex code of this character)
I guess Simon just used some special characters while making his serach
request to Google.

|   There are some people still cutting and pasting URLs to their
browser to
|   follow links that they are passed in email.  The automation of URL
|   following from email messages is not universal.  Not always
implemented,
|   not always free from breakage where implemented.  Had a recent
repeat on

escaping non-ascii characters is a Good way, it follows RFC for URL/URI
encoding.
I can add even more: if I search in Cyrillic (try word
"интернет", for
example), *all* characters are escaped - because most likely you don't
have
built-in Cyrillic support, Cyrillic fonts, etc. But you still can
reproduce
serach result (for Cyrillc word) using escaped Cyrillic glyphs in URL.

|   WebWatch of the failure scenario where someone got an URL in an
email
| that wrapped, broke, and they didn't understand why when they tried to
| follow it they got a 404.  The pieces were all there but try to see
that in
| your screen reader.

well, this is subject to broken mail client, and you can fix this by
changing
your Mailing Client.
MS Outlook is known to produce terrible results on quoting, replying to
the
message, wrapping text/URL, etc.
I use KMail (at home) and do not have such problem.
There is an option in Options menu (Wordwrap: Yes/No), which is
applicable to
every mail I send. By default, it's On.
But if I paste some URL and it's wrapped, I turn off Wordwrap and send
this
URL unwrapped.
If someone wnat screenshot how it's looking - I can post it somewhere.

|   Since passing along Google search URLs is IMHO a good thing, and
URLs

--

Vadim Plessky
http://kde2.newmail.ru  (English)