tips: trimming search URLs

From: Al Gilman <asgilman@iamdigex.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 17:17:43 -0500
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
At 12:45 PM 2002-01-11 , Simon White wrote:

>http://www.google.com/search?num=50hl=en&lr=lang_en&q=%22designing%22+%22dy
slexia%22+webbtnG=Google+Search

His post was excellent.  This is not a complaint.  He just happened to
provide a good example.  Can I step up on a soap box and still speak softly?

I was able to reproduce his search with the URL spelled as

http://www.google.com/search?q=designing+dyslexia

There are some people still cutting and pasting URLs to their browser to
follow links that they are passed in email.  The automation of URL
following from email messages is not universal.  Not always implemented,
not always free from breakage where implemented.  Had a recent repeat on
WebWatch of the failure scenario where someone got an URL in an email that
wrapped, broke, and they didn't understand why when they tried to follow it
they got a 404.  The pieces were all there but try to see that in your
screen reader.

Since passing along Google search URLs is IMHO a good thing, and URLs that
wrap over to the next line are a risky thing, I thought I would point out
this idea, because they are often over one line as held in your browser and
can often be emulated by something much shorter.

If you wish a different language you will need to add the language
parameter back in.  Etc.

For what it's worth.

Al