Re: Legal requirements RE: statistics

this aol issue has been touted as a high mark and has confused the issue
too much so we need to be clear on it.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Simon White" <simon.white@jkd.co.uk>
To: "David Poehlman" <poehlman1@home.com>; "Charles McCathieNevile"
<charles@w3.org>; "SHARPE, Ian" <Ian.SHARPE@cambridge.sema.slb.com>
Cc: "WAI (E-mail)" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Sent: Friday, January 11, 2002 12:53 PM
Subject: RE: Legal requirements RE: statistics

Yes, but they are both *accessibility* issues, so let's not lose site of
that. I wouldn't want to reiterate my previous posts on this subject,
but surely accessibility is the key here, and promoting it whether there
is a legal requirement or not should be high on the agenda.

I know for a fact that the UK government takes this issue very seriously
and will shortly be producing legislation that includes websites in a
more explicit nature. But, we shouldn't need to think of the legal
aspects, we should be thinking: who will use this service? Well, I bet
as many pounds/dollars/euros that you want that a disabled person would
be interested in pretty much any service that was available on the Web,
because they are no different to me in any aspect - i.e. they listen to
music, they surf the Web, they buy grocieries, they need medical advice,
etc, etc, etc, etc...

Am I wrong?

I just feel that it is a shame that we have the need for this kind of
legislation when we are all human beings, not something to be labelled.
*grin*

Kind regards and a happy weekend to all
Simon White