From: w3c-wai-ig-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-wai-ig-request@w3.org]On
Behalf Of SHARPE, Ian
Sent: Friday, January 11, 2002 10:03 AM
To: WAI (E-mail)
Subject: RE: statistics - for differences between accessible and
non-acce ssible sites?

Simon, couldn't agree more with your sentiment but sadly am not so confident
that legislation will ensure sites are made accessible. As far as I'm aware
only 508 in the US ensure sites/software purchased by US government be
accessible. (That's my understanding anyway, maybe I'm wrong?) Even this
limited legislation isn't even true in the UK. It should be!! And the rest!!

The other big problem we have is simply awareness of accissiblity issues.
Sadly most developers, whether working for small software/web design
companies or the large IT corporates are even aware of accessibility issues.
Even Microsoft who I would give credit for championing our accessibility
cause and at least try to make all there own products accessible. When it
comes to doing work for others however the story is different!! I am
fortunately in a position to influence projects I am involved with to strive
for accessibility and can speak from experience that the people I've worked
with and many more in the company no doubt, are not even aware of the
issue!!

How we promote or get our message across is perhaps something we need to
look at. I don't believe that much effort need to be spent to improve
accessibility (and indeed could even reduce development time/costs) and
people are willing to adopt this approach. But only when they know it is
actually a problem!!

Didn't mean to sound so negative but I genuinely believe it is the case. But
als completely agree with everything you say Simon!!

Love the quote!! And to support my own personal belief I would also add
Henry Ford's famous quote: "There are lies, more lies and statistics" but
you'll all know that one!!

Cheers
Ian