Re: Blind Users and Web Comics

From: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 08:13:06 +0000
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Patrick Burke wrote:

> the political point that it makes, which can be stated pretty well with
> words).  Clearly the pure text version does not replace the original
> work, just as a book of art criticism does not rplace the works it

If you make the meaning of a political cartoon explicit, you may well
get sued for libel (or, in some countries, or at some times, thown in
jail).   I think one of the reasons why political cartoons developed
was that they allowed people to make comments that they could not
safely have made in explicit form.

(Note that the BBC morning paper reviews sometimes describe such
cartoons, but only in terms of the image, not its meaning.)