Re: another dumb question: flash plugins

From: Jim Ley <jim@jibbering.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 17:59:50 -0000
To: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
> I cannot fathom whether mozilla is not sending the right response, or
> website authors are not asking the right question.

As always where javascript is concerned, it's the authors!

The flash detection script is simply flawed, it asks for
navigator.plugins (evaluates to true in IE, NN4, mozilla.)
and document.layers or document.all
NN4 (& Omniweb) support document.layers.
IE4+ (& Konq,Opera, Omniweb) support document.all

Mozilla doesn't, therefore the script stops processing. It's simply bad
scripting. nothing more.

> I'm currently sending nagging messages to webmasters, on the basis that
> 50% can't be wrong.
>
> However a standard would help.

Standard for flash detection?  we should have that - in HTTP_ACCEPT or
graceful degradation of the object element making it meaningless... That
doesn't happen though.

Jim.