Re: more CSS and tables

From: Vadim Plessky <lucy-ples@mtu-net.ru>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 21:47:46 +0000
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
On Monday 07 January 2002 07:20, David Woolley wrote:
|   Vadim Plessky wrote:
|   > replacement of <font> with <span> is already great by itself, and
|   > things like
|   span doesn't replace font (except in as much as any attribute of font
|   is allowed on any other inline element).  Although it is common for

ok, do you have better replacement for the FONT tag?
Yes, you can replace <FONT></FONT> even with <TABLE><TR><TD></TD></TR></TABLE>
but *why* you may want to do this?..

|   authoring tools and cut and paste coders to use span as though it
|   were an equivalent for font, it should, actually, only be used as a
|   last resort, when there is no more precise structural element that can
|   be styled.

so, how you suppose to change color inline? (word "suppose" in this sentence?)

|   E.g. a second level heading that should have a particular appearance
|   should have the style applied to the h2, not as a span within it.

I would prefer to use DIV instead of H2, as different browsers have different
opinion what H2 tag is :-(
And of course you need to change color/font for that DIV, and do not use SPAN
for that task.

|   > there is no warranty that TABLEs will be supported by future (X)HTML
|   > sepcifications. And Tables module is *optional* in CSS3 - it is *not
|   In reality, mass market browsers will continue to support legacy
|   versions of HTML until authors stop using them.  In fact, this is the

question is: * how important those _mass market browsers_ *?
I am going to buy Sharp Zaurus PDA when it's available. It doesn't have MS IE
or Netscape, and I can't care less about those browsers.
Most likely, I will replace Opera coming with Zaurus with Konq/E, and will
make content in pure XML+CSS - just not to waste its resources.

|   reason why one should write to the minimum version of HTML that does the
|   job (which may mean writing to a pre-tables version then using styles
|   (link should work on new browsers).

But don't you think that HTML is somewhat *overhead* (*overkill*) for a
typical Net device?
I can understand why PDA still should support Tables (and "classic" HTML).
But do you want your Microwave Owen to support HTML, too?
What about ATMs and vending machines?..

Vadim Plessky
http://kde2.newmail.ru  (English)
KDE mini-Themes