Re: charset enquiry

From: Chris Croome <chris@webarchitects.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 13:53:29 +0000
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Cc: Julian.Scarlett@sheffield.gov.uk
Hi

On Thu 03-Jan-2002 at 10:54:45AM -0000, Scarlett Julian (ED) wrote:

> does the charset of an html document matter interms of accessibility?

I guess some user agents, especially old ones, might have problems with some
char sets, especially non latin ones.

> I have inherited an html page created in M$ Word that has the meta tag
> <META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html;
> charset=windows-1252">
>
> Whilst stripping out the bloat-code I was going to change the charset
> to iso-8859-1 but am now wondering what the side effects of doing this
> might be (if any)

The only side affect I can think of is that people using platforms other
than windows will find the document more accessible :-)

For example browsers such as Netscape 4 on Linux replaces MS 'smart
quotes' with question marks.

Chris

--
Chris Croome                               <chris@webarchitects.co.uk>