Hello J:

Thanks, some things to try.

You mentioned
the office package and tags can be sent to .pdf with the accessibility...
Can this also be done in Windows nt/2000 or do I need to go into, say MS Word?

Steve

>>> "Jason Megginson" <jason@bartsite.com> 04/02/02 03:43PM >>>

Hello Steven,
I have done work with Adobe .pdf accessibility and came across the same
problem. If you are using Microsoft Office, an equation editor comes with
the office package and tags can be sent to .pdf with the accessibility
plug-in....as you probably know.

I was dealing with the problem, where Microsoft tools weren't used to
convert to .pdf and the eqaution had exponents and sub variables. The
solution I implemented dealt with the use of the structure tree's element
properties. I changed the alternate text on elements (for example..."A sub
c" and so on.) to explain the variables and figures more thouroghly.

I would organize and name the structure tree elements among numerators and
denominators and treat the division line as an artifact and give it
alternate text such as "divided by" or "division line". I fealt like this
was the best way to make an already created .pdf accessible with all of the
variables and mathematical figures.

Again, this solution is the best solution I have found if the equation is
already made into a .pdf. I would be interesed in any other techniques and
tools as well.

Hope this helped.