RE: Server Side Include Accessibility

From: Jon Hanna <jon@spin.ie>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 13:19:16 +0100
To: "Kirsten Williams" <kirsten.williams@ed.ac.uk>, <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

> I've searched but can't find any information as to the accessibility of
> server side includes.

None in particular.

 Is it acceptable for accessibility purposes
> to use SSI
> to create a "text only" version of a website, so that the graphics and
> javascript are removed but the content of the site is exactly the same
> between the "text-only" and full versions of the site?

Yes. There are some problems with this solution, in particular it means the
downloaded document doesn't have the same accessibility features outside of
the context of the site, which may or may not be important, and there is the
problem of determining which version to serve.
It can be a useful technique when user-agents are very unlikely to have much
bandwidth or screen size (e.g. mobile devices), but most of the time there
isn't really any need for it.