Re: Accessible _content_ management (was RE: accessible web contact management solution request:)

From: Andrew McFarland <andrew.mcfarland@unite.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 11:10:13 +0100
To: wai-ig list <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

At 05:54 27/06/2002 -0400, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
>But there is more to the accessibility of a system than its interface -
>just the ability to add a longdesc or sevral, but also making it easy and
>natural for content authors to ensure that documents being produced will
>useful structure. Where necessary, of course, this requires appropriate

Giving our CMS an accessible interface is pretty straightforward. At the
moment it is possible to update content using Lynx, and the structure of
the resulting document is controlled - one of our aims was to enable day to
day content editing by people who have knowledge of HTML, which has the
useful side effect of giving output documents a useful structure, assuming
the templates are well structured. Every level two heading, for example, is
in a h2 element, never a horrendous mix of font and strong elements.

One thing that does concern me is the editing of the templates. At the
moment, that is only done through a text editor, and as such it can't
really be done by non-techies. Is that an accessibility issue?

I'll see if I get a chance to set up an example site so I can show you what
I am talking about.

Andrew McFarland
UNITE Solutions