RE: Standards Compliant = No support for NN4?

From: Jon Hanna <jon@spin.ie>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 13:20:43 +0100
To: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

>   It is still a technique I would be *very hesitant* in suggesting to
>   anyone, even with a sub-problem defined as "one target UA". For a more
>   generic situation, the implementation is far more extensive
> than 5 minutes
>   with any method. For ASP/VBscript I'd go so far as to say it would take
>   prohibetively long time. ASP/PerlScript, perhaps. I'll stick with CGI :)

I can assure you that I have coded ASP pages in VBScript that do exactly
that in less than 5 minutes (I am not including the time it takes to develop
the CSSs for the different browsers in that). It takes 3 lines of VBScript,
though you may want to add some code to send an Expires and/or Last-modified
header so you will have better caching.

... css here for all browsers...
<%If BadBrowser Then 'Replace Badbrowser with test on
Request.ServerVariables("HTTP_USER-AGENT") for specific browser with bug,
e.g. NN4%>
... css here for bad browser
<%Else%>
... css here for standards-compliant browser
<%End If%>