Re: HTML 4.x or XHTML for accessibility

From: Tom Gilder <w3c@tom.me.uk>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 10:35:18 +0100
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

On Tuesday, June 18, 2002, 10:24:23 AM, Andrew McFarland wrote:
> > My most serious concern regarding xhtml, and xml (and this future), is
> > that code that has errors will not be rendered
>
> Surely this is a good thing?

For web standards? Yes.
For end users? No.

If a page has a small error (and they do creep in from time-to-time, especially
if you let other people edit a page), then giving the user an error would be
very annoying.

This won't happen in the short term as most XHTML is sent as text/html, so will
still be sent through HTML4 parsers.

I feel browsers should detect XHTML, and parse it through an XML parser. If that
errors, tell the user there's an error but then still attempt to parse it
through a HTML4 parser.

--
Tom Gilder
http://tom.me.uk/