Re: Testing web page accessibility by phone

From: phoenixl <phoenixl@sonic.net>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 18:35:39 -0700
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

Hi, Liz

This is an interesting point.  If I were to characterize the task, it
would be something like testing the usability of a web page being
presented in a non-visual format.  The accessibility aspect comes into
play because of the particular reason for interacting with the web page
non-visually.

I strongly agree that both automatic testing and real subject testing
both need to be done.  Automatic testing really only works for detecting
the problems that are of such a nature that they can be described in a
way as to be detected by an automatic approach.  There are other types
of problems which cannot be described in such a way, e.g. comparing an
image to the text describing the image, user making certain assumptions
based on previous experiences.

Scott