Re: FW: JSTOR and accessibility

From: Access Systems <accessys@smart.net>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 21:47:58 -0400 (EDT)
To: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>
cc: "Audrey J. Gorman" <agorman@megsinet.net>, W3c-Wai-Ig <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
On Tue, 28 May 2002, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:

> Presumably OCR works on a TIFF document to an accuracy of up to 99.95% - this
>
> The real questions are two - should they be commended for their approach to
> providing a more accessible option, and could they easily do even better?
>
> Providing a ramp to cover access to two out of three steps is enough for a
> wheelchair to be lifted by a couple of large friends over the final one, so
> it does increase acces, in the sense that some poeple who were completely

I think I see the problem, building a ramp over 2 of 3 steps is adding
insult to injury...it is worse than no access at all.

> excluded are no longer completely excluded. The analogy is that not everyone

sure, exclusion is exclusion,  having to have someone lift someone in a
wheelchair is the same as a visually impaired person requiring someone
else to read their monitor to them.

Bob

above. If you are not the intended recipient, Please notify the sender as
soon as possible. Please DO NOT READ, COPY, USE, or DISCLOSE this
communication to others and DELETE it from your computer systems.  Thanks