RE: JSTOR and accessibility

I cannot claim any expertise here, but I have used OCR on more than one
occaison.  OCR = Optical Character Recognition, whereby the software applies
"paterning" recognition against shapes, and then attempts to replicate those
shapes as letters.  In my experience, "standard" font faces such as Times or
Arial work much better than more ornate font faces, even if you would not
neccesarily consider the font face you use as "ornate".  Smaller font sizes
are problematic... anything under 12 pts. can be "tricky" at best, and for
OCR to work, most software packages recommend at least 200 dpi.

I personally cannot see how providing TIFFs (which are essentially
non-compressed graphic files - ie: pictures) as downloadable files for the
end user to OCR could ever be considered accessible by any stretch of the
imagination.  TIFFs would be huge to download, and the provider *assumes*
the end user has OCR software installed... a might big assumption.

While a "Priority 2" checkpoint (but NOT part of Section 508 - pity)
Checkpoint #3.1 states: "When an appropriate markup language exists, use
markup rather than images to convey information."

In the true spirit of accessibility then, tell you JSTOR folks that they are
simply creating another problem, not solving the current one.  If they go so
far to make their files TIFFs, why can't they go the final step and and
perform the OCR themselves, and post the text as text?

Just my $0.02

JF