Re: not jaws, just inaccessible:Fw: Inaccessible Web sites

From: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 21:16:54 +0100 (BST)
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
> Ok, I'll give you that, but how is ad freezing be the responsibility of a
> screen reader? Why wouldn't a screen reader user use the same software that
> a sighted person would use (such as Proxomitron, RJT, JunkBuster, or
> Guidescope) to stop refreshing ads?

For the same reasons that the sighted person wouldn't use it:

- any add on software constitutes a technicality barrier for most users;
- it may require additional clearances from network administrators;
- many network administrators may refuse it because sites heavy in banner
  ads often have terms of use that forbid the use of banner blocking software;
- the machine may be a shared resource and the network administrator may
  not want to impose such a policy for all users.

On the other hand, a sighted user can much more easily ignore or dismiss
the adverts (although people with some perception disorders may get
confused as well).

Popups are much more of a problem for blind users, but they are no more
technically oriented than sighted users.