RE: not jaws, just inaccessible:Fw: Inaccessible Web sites

From: John Foliot - bytown internet <foliot@bytowninternet.com>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 14:46:03 -0400
To: "Jerry Weichbrodt" <gerald.g.weichbrodt@ived.gm.com>, <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
> So, as a JAWS user, I don't think WindowEyes has it over JAWS here, but,
> even though both screen readers deal as well as they do with these sites,
> it's only because of the tricks in the screen readers, and other
> combinations of browser and technology would probably fall on
> their faces at
> these sites.

Ergo, inaccessible.  Requiring "user agents" to overcome shortcomings in the
HTML we give them is an un-reasonable expectation.  The fact that JAWS
and/or WindowEyes have been designed to accommodate crummy coding practices
is a benefit to some users, but does not in any way "forgive" the
inaccessible development of these sites.

Just my $0.02

JF