Re: compliance and layout tables revisited

From: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 22:10:14 +0100 (BST)
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
> There are some pages which do not have "logical order"

He said *a* logical order, not *the* logical order.

> Just think of newspaper,say, with 7 columns, mixed with illustrations, etc.
> As an example - Financial Times.
>  What is the logical order ofr reading this page?..

Like it or not, when processed with essentially linear technology, it *will*
be linearised (even if you put a table of contents at the top, for random
access, that will be linearised).  Given that, the choice is between *a*
logical linearisation, and the mess you get if you read a typical newspaper
layout from top to bottom within left to right (assumes western European
page layouts).  If you read a newspaper in the way that a typical web
page linearises, you would end up switching between two or three articles.

(Even PDF has had linearisation support for such layouts for a long time,
although I've never seen it used in anger.)