RE: Query re authoring tool compliance

From: Denise Wood <Denise.Wood@unisa.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 12:13:38 +0930
To: "'Rebecca Cox '" <rebecca@cwa.co.nz>, "''w3c-wai-ig@w3.org' '" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
 Thanks for the link re conversion processes for Word Rebecca. I have explored
these options but the problem is that as soon as authors open up filtered or
repaired files in Word and edit again all of the repairs and clean-up is lost
in the next save. Really just not a viable option I'm afraid. The bottom line
is that we should be promoting use of the right authroing tools in the first
place.

I have prepared a draft document listing the main WCAG and ATAG check point
problems with Word and possible solutions using repair and filter tools (such
as A-promt and HTML Tidy) and Web authoring packages with accessibility
extensions or plug-ins enabling authors to verify their work.

I would be happy to share this draft document with anyone who is interested - I
need feedback and constructive advice for improvements. Once that document is
finalised I plan to write a summary of the key issues which will eventually go
online (following peer review).

Denise