Re: Maps and accessibility

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 17:43:38 -0400 (EDT)
To: Rebecca Cox <rebecca@cwa.co.nz>
cc: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
There was some discussion on this topic a while ago - Julian Scarlett's
thread starting at
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ig/2002JanMar/thread#1398 is an
example.

There is some other work that has been done - from Dr WIlliam Cartwright, who
has looked at this question from the perspective of a geographer, I got the
following pointers for someone else:

  Some work was done in the UK, by workers at the Hydrological Mapping
  Service.  They published papers (in the last 3 years) in the British
  Cartographic Society journal and the journal of the Society of
  Cartographers.  One of the authors is Nick Tasker.

At http://www.soc.org.uk/bulletin/bulletin.html I found the reference to an
Article titled "Site design or Internet Crime" by Nick Tasker in volume 32.1
of the Bulleting of the Society of Cartographers - contents online at
http://www.soc.org.uk/bulletin/bulle321.html - that journal appears to have a
steady stream of articles related to using the interenet and computers for
mapping.

(This topic comes up every so often, and I must have been asked the question
about once every two months for the last few years)

cheers

Charles