From: <Demonpenta2@aol.com>
To: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Sent: Monday, April 29, 2002 7:51 PM
Subject: Re: media: government computer news: "beyond Section 508:

In a message dated 4/29/02 11:31:00 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
poehlman1@comcast.net writes:

> I was especially interested in the strategy the army used to save time
> and money.

       Note however that while the verification process may be quicker,
that's a side issue to the real thing: Websites for the Army (and DOD as
whole) are Not Very Accessible, normally. 508 is going, but very, very
slowly
in DOD. They have the regulations, but when the entire organizational
culture
looks down on issues regarding the disabled (and quite often the very
thought
of doing ANYTHING for the disabled), progress comes slowly. (If you want
an
example of how DOD websites don't play well with the other kids, see
Defenselink, the site the military uses to hook up with the public.
Internally-focused websites are even worse.)