Re: Frames and accessibility: opinions please

On Fri, 26 Apr 2002, Phill Jenkins wrote:

> >   I run Lynx on linux.   it is a very basic system that is generally
> > accepted as the basic accessible system (as per sec 508) that needs to
> > provided access.
>
> The Access Board guidance regarding FRAMES does not mention NOFRAMES, only
> See http://www.access-board.gov/sec508/guide/1194.22.htm#(i)
>
> Lynx on Linux is not mentioned as the basic accessible system either.

ok some confusion,  Lynx is a minimum that must be met according to the
specs (and somewhere in the narrative it mentions it but I can't find it
at the moment)  the fact that I'm running it on a Linux OS is not
important Lynx on DOS would be just the same, but I mention the Linux to
illustrate that any solutions MUST be OS neutral and not depend on
proprietary software that is not provided free.

> Wouldn't it be less expensive to fix Lynx's current inability to support
> the complete HTML standard that to ask the many web developers to provide a
> noframes version?

well you can access frames, but unless the sec 508 information is provided
all you get is
FRAME: top
FRAME: right
FRAME: bottom
FRAME: left

  now that is not very usefull.

> Of course that wouldn't fix all the other non-accessibility problems with
> frames <frown>

frames and Javascript not sure which I dislike the most

Bob

    NO HTML/PDF/RTF in e-mail                   accessys@smartnospam.net
above. If you are not the intended recipient, Please notify the sender as
soon as possible. Please DO NOT READ, COPY, USE, or DISCLOSE this
communication to others and DELETE it from your computer systems.  Thanks