Re: Frames and accessibility: opinions please

From: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 23:05:50 +0100 (BST)
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
>   I admit to being confused. Simulating a frames-based layout with CSS 2
>   is a rather simple thing. Which difficulties are you refering to ?

The thing that causes most debate on the styles list is effectively
simulating * in cols or rows size lists.  Often the term "fluid layout"
is used.  (There are quite some subtleties when one starts factoring in
viewport sizes into CSS and there is no way of saying 100% - 40em.)

The major stumbling block for designers, though, is that NS4 is so broken,
but still in their must be supported list, and they are generally not
prepared to let their visual layouts linearise on older browsers, so
having styles turned off in NS4, or not be available in NS3 isn't
acceptable to them.