Re: Frames and accessibility: opinions please

On Thu, 25 Apr 2002, Peter Verhoeven wrote:

checking it out running Lynx on a Linux machine gets

> The new web site of the Dutch parlement http://www.tweede-kamer.nl has a
> frame construction, without using the <FRAMESET> tag.
> As far as I can see in the source they use scripting to define the frame
> structure.

don't speak Dutch so not sure but except for the "live debate" (I think
that is what it means) which wouldn't work everything else seemed to come
through fine or at least in a usable form

> This kind of structures are highly inaccessible for visually impaired users
> using a screen magnifier or screen reader.

well Lynx is for the screen reader to use

> Regards Peter Verhoeven
> Internet : http://www.magnifiers.org (The Screen Magnifiers Homepage)

well this worked far worse and there were a lot of links that were not
able to be accessed.

> > > To get something that looks like frames is not that hard probably but is it
> > > as easy as it is with frames to have a standard header and side navigation
> > > and also allow users to include their own content in the main frame.
> >
> >   I think we need to give consideration to two separate issues here. It is
> >   quite easy, a full example is provided in the specification, to create a
> >   layout that looks and behaves like a framed one by using CSS 2.
> >
> >   That, however, is a purely visual point. Including 'their own' content in
> >   the 'main frame' is another - but there are various methods of achieving

what is the fascination with frames anyway???

OK I've never (I don't think) have actually seen a frames site but what
does frames do that can't be done easier and more accessibly with other
methods of construction???

what I guess I'm missing is, why is it so dern hard to have every site be
able to degrade to plain text???

Bob

    NO HTML/PDF/RTF in e-mail                   accessys@smartnospam.net
above. If you are not the intended recipient, Please notify the sender as
soon as possible. Please DO NOT READ, COPY, USE, or DISCLOSE this
communication to others and DELETE it from your computer systems.  Thanks