RE: longdesc for an image used as a link

From: Jukka Korpela <jukka.korpela@tieke.fi>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 12:05:02 +0300
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
goliver@accease.com wrote:

> Anyone ever felt compelled to use the longdesc
> attribute for an image used as a link?

If I ever felt _compelled_ to use the longdesc attribute, I would _know_
that this is not the place to use it!

The point is that since browser support is, eh, how would I put it, limited,
one shouldn't _rely_ on the longdesc attribute, now or in the next few
years. If the user needs to be able to access a long description of the
image, the best way is to write a normal link to the description, in a
manner that makes it fairly obvious what it is. For example, you could put a
caption text below the image and make it a link, or you could explicitly
write "<p>(There is also a <a href="...">textual description of our
organization</a> available.)</p>", or you could, if you prefer, write a "D
link". Having done that, you could additionally use a longdesc attribute.

--
Jukka Korpela
TIEKE Tietoyhteiskunnan kehittämiskeskus ry