RE: A new one: label vs. Scope

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 10:52:35 -0400 (EDT)
To: Mike Scott <mscott2@msfw.com>
cc: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>, "'Andy J. W. Affleck'" <listaccount@raggedcastle.com>
On Mon, 22 Apr 2002, Mike Scott wrote:

  It is unfortunate that HTML doesn't offer a way of assigning multiple
  form fields to a single label (and vice versa).

It does. Fieldset/legend assign one label to multiple controls:
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/interact/forms.html#edef-FIELDSET

Assigning multiple labels to a single control isn't generally possible as far
as I know, unless you use multiple layers of headings in tables and have a
tool that lets you find out what all the headers are (tablin can do this as a
proxy service, but I don't know of a stand-alone browser that manages it).
You can use a label inside a fieldset, which lets you have two ways of
labelling the same thing.

cheers

Chaals