RE: Label versus Title

At 06:20 PM 2002-04-20 , Jim Thatcher wrote:

>Not so much arcane as "never" used and therefore not supported by screen
>readers or HPR.  I think fieldset and legend are good techniques to group
>sets of controls in a form even if not supported by AT; but this discussion
>is about a small set of input elements with ostensibly one label ... and
>what to do about that.

One label is what they were going to do, that is true.  Isn't that enough of a usability defect to merit a warning?

Using just one label when you have split the entry into two form controls is pretty confusing.  Particularly when the questions deal with information which you will frequently find combined in one field.

For best results they should first warn people that there are two fields related to when you were born, and then ask for birth month and birth year control by control.  This is how to make the questions as clear as possible.  Even for just two controls, in situations such as this where the same information is often asked for in one text field.   So we can't rely on the LEGEND in a FIELDSET to get spoken here, and we'll have to program it some other way.  But that is how the explanations should flow.

Particularly for date of birth, which is so common, to ask for only the month and year is truly weird.  In cases like that where you are ever so close to a true cliche, it's advisable to hit the user up the side of the head with everything you have got.  NOW HEAR THIS and very clear instructions so they know what weird stuff you are up to.

Al