Describing TABLE structure

From: Royce Shin <shinx019@umn.edu>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 11:34:58 -0500
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
I have a question about using the HEADERS and SCOPE attributes
of table cells to describe the structure of tables. I'm particularly
interested in helping those with non-visual browsers understand
non-trivial table layout. Are HEADERS and SCOPE meant to be used
in conjunction with each other or should I only use whichever method
more easily describe the table? Should I avoid switching between them
for different axes in the table even if say the columnar structure
is easier to describe with HEADERS and the row structure is easier
with SCOPE? Is either method better supported in the most recent
non-visual browsers used by a majority of users? Can AXIS be freely
mixed with HEADERS and/or SCOPE when it seems appropriate, which seems
be when the relationship of a variable seems not to organize terribly
well in two-dimensional space?

Royce Shin
UMN Web Development
shinx019@umn.edu