From: Denise Wood [mailto:denise_wood@operamail.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 11, 2002 8:24 PM
To: nikolaisen@yahoo.com
Cc: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: RE: Learning About Web Accessibility

At 10:03 AM 4/11/2002, Suzanne Nikolaisen wrote:

>Hi everybody! I was wondering if you could give me some input about
learning about web accessibility.

Hi Suzanne,

You are certainly to be commended for taking a stand on accessibility with
regard to your Web design work. If it is any consolation to you, many of us
constantly meet challenges in this area and despite having completed formal
courses in accessible Web design I still feel quite inept at times!

The advice provided by Patrick about the WebAim course is excellent. Do
follow up on his suggestion - from what I have seen so far it is an
excellent resource and the price is right! Jim's advice is also sound and I
am purchasing the book referred to in his e-mail.

Here are some other courses worth considering:
-The University of Southern Maine offers courses in universal and barrier
free design. Some of these have been offered free in the past
http://genasys.usm.maine.edu/courses/.
-EASI also offers a Certificate course in Assistive Information Technology:
http://www.easi.cc/workshop.htm
-Kynn Bartlett who is well known to everyone on this listserv runs an
excellent and affordable course through the HTML/International Webmaster's
Association:
http://www.iwanet.org/. There is a new course commencing on the 22nd of this
month.

Following are some websites that I have found helpful:

Auditing and repair tools
-W3C WAI Evaluation and Repair pages: http://www.w3c.org/WAI/Resources/#er
-Vischeck ( http://www.vischeck.com/) for evaluating use of color on Web
sites:
http://www.psc-cfp.gc.ca/eepmp-pmpee/access/testver1_e.htm
-Web Page Accessibility Self-Evaluation Test:
http://www.psc-cfp.gc.ca/eepmp-pmpee/access/testver1_e.htm

Other useful Web sites
-Special Needs Opportunity Windows:
http://snow.utoronto.ca
-University of Washington DO-IT Program: http://www.washington.edu/doit/
-CPB/WGBH National Center for Accessible Media: http://ncam.wgbh.org/
-Usability.gov Web site: http://usability.gov/accessibility/index.html
-Jakob Nielson's usability site:
http://www.useit.com/
-Aware Centre:
http://aware.hwg.org/
-Universal usability in practice: http://www.otal.umd.edu/UUPractice/

Hope this information is of some help Suzanne. You will also find people on
this listserv an invaluable resource if you want an opinion about anything
you have designed or if you have a problem you can't resolve yourself.

Best wishes in your endeavors.

Dr Denise L Wood

Lecturer: Professional Development (online teaching and learning)
University of South Australia
CE Campus, North Terrace, Adelaide SA 5000
Ph: (61 8) 8302 2167
Fax: (61 8) 8302 2363
Mob: (0413 648 260)

Email:Denise.Wood@unisa.edu.au or Denise@easi.cc

WWW: http://www.unisanet.unisa.edu.au/staff/homepage.asp?Name=Denise.Wood
and at EASI: http://easi.cc/workshops/advwbsyl.htm

--

Dr Denise L Wood

Lecturer: Professional Development (online teaching and learning)
and EASI online instructor

Download the free Opera browser at http://www.opera.com/