Question about the use of "title" tag and screen readers

From: Jérôme Ernu <jernu@VisualFriendly.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 16:15:10 +0200
To: "'w3c-wai-ig@w3.org'" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Hello all !

I would like to know what you think about the following point :
It is technically possible to provide a descriptive comment about a
hypertext link (thanks to the "title" tag). For example, a "home" link
could be described as "Return to the home page of the blabla website"...

But we heard that in this configuration, screen readers don't read the
link but only the description. Could you tell me if this is always true
?

By the way, do you know websites using this description ? If yes, do
blind people find it usefull ?

Thanks a lot,

Jerome E