RE: Published work on Accessibility available

On Tue, 2 Apr 2002, Dana Louise Simberkoff wrote:

> I wanted to respond to this question on the list, in case other list members
> had questions about the availability of this publication in other formats.

Many thanks to Dana for her extremely swift and efficient responses!

> As per the "Understanding Accessibility Request Response" any user can
> request the HTML Format of the Offered book.

I obviously skimmed too fast somewhere; I'm not sure quite what
the "Understanding Accessibility Request Response" is.  It may
well be the email response that I received (and deleted...).  For
what it's worth, my preconception was that if alternative formats
were available at all, this would have been flagged on the web
form for requesting the book in the first place. In fact, the
possibility of an HTML version is not mentioned either there or
at:

  http://www.hisoftware.com/uaccess/Index.html

> Barry, I will send you the HTML version of the book off-list.

And she has, and I've successfully unpacked it, and look forward
to reading!

> Regarding your question about required fields on the registration form, the
> form states that Name and E-Mail Address are required to get the email with
> download information.

Again, I guess I was just reading too fast; and again, for what
it's worth, I think what snagged me was that the magic word
"required" is not actually in the text.  The literal text is
"Please complete the name and e-mail address information to get
the automated download information"; but this is also followed by
the confusing "HiSoftware Download Request - Address Required for
Shipment", and the fact that some fields have been given a
distinct background colour, but without any explicit statement of
whether or not this is functionally significant. NB: I'm not
complaining here, and fully accept that I was too casual in
reading the form - I'm just trying to offer some constructive
feedback.

So again, full marks to Dana and HiSoftware for speedy customer
service!

Best,

- Barry.