Re: Fresh start? Re: Minimal Browser Capabilities

On Fri, 28 Dec 2001, Vadim Plessky wrote:

> On Friday 28 December 2001 14:20, Access Systems wrote:
> [...]
> |
> |   I don't think a lot of people on these committees realize what many folks
> |   with disabilities are actually operating with, even in this
> |   country.  we're talking folks who may live on the less than $500 a month
> |   from SSDI and paying the rent, phone and food bills consume most of it.
> |
> |   and in other countries as little as $5 a month.
> |
> |   BUT even on these budgets some internet access is still possible, but it
> |   sure isn't a pentium anything.  I know folks who are trying to get enough
> |   memory to install windows 3.1 but are on the internet and it is their
> | only source of outside information,  we cannot disenfrancise these folks
> | and then call it "access"
>
> as this is 3rd or 4th message saying "let's take old computers and donate
> them to the 3rd world", I guess I need to express my opinion.

actually it is the exact opposite, maybe I miss-explained because I was
basically saying the same thing as you differently.  The very reason that
folks in these countries have such old computers is the cost of shipping
newer computers there, so it is a cascade effect, one person gets a new
computer and passes the old one down, and down and down so forth til the
disabled group or CIL end up with an old first generation MAC.  mostly
because  it is already there

> Same is valid for used (old) computers. Transportation always costs money,
> you can't get it for free unless you use own car.

which is part of how we're getting stuff to these places, when I traveled
to Nicaragua I and my wife put all of our stuff in one suitcase and
carried 3 duffel bags worth of "Stuff" with the rest of our baggage
allotment, unfortunately computers are only a small portion of what has to
be carried, one duffel bag was full of drugs (??taking drugs TO Central
America) mostly antibiotics.

> Anyway, here is my solution.
> All computers (system block) should be small, really small - with a size of
> typical book or a little bit bigger. Anc cheap, damn ceap! I see no reason
> why such packaged unit, with no expansion slots (but USB available) should
> cost more than $200. And, in fact, VIA (Taiwan) is very close to produce such
> unit.

nice, I would probably get one but the third world would only get the hand
me down Pentiums

> So my understanding of problem [computer for developing countries] is that we
> need to push technologies and vendors forward, and to push them ASAP - using
> out buying power. We will just waste our time trying to re-animate old
> computers.

no money in the third world, profits are in selling loaded to the gills
hyper overloaded computers to folks in the developed countries to use as
word processors and game boys!

> |   The whole world cannot upgrade twice a year!
> |
> very well said! :-)

Bob

    NO HTML/PDF/RTF in e-mail                   accessys@smartnospam.net
THIS message and any attachements are CONFIDENTIAL and may be
privledged.  They are intended ONLY for the individual or entity named
above. If you are not the intended recipient, Please notify the sender as
soon as possible. Please DO NOT READ, COPY, USE, or DISCLOSE this
communication to others and DELETE it from your computer systems.  Thanks