Re: Minimal Browser Capabilities

Quoting Kynn Bartlett <kynn-edapta@idyllmtn.com>:

> At 10:38 AM -0500 12/25/01, Access Systems wrote:
> >??????? lynx version 2.8.3 was released on 17 July 2001!!!  it is
> >maintained actively by the Univ of Kansas.
>
> A minor update seems to come out maybe once a year.
>
> Does it do CSS?  Does it do HTML 4.01?  Does it do DOM?  Does it do
> XHTML?   Does it do JavaScript?
>
> Lynx support for major web standards is lagging far behind where it
> could be.  Lynx is roughly at the stage of, say, Netscape 2 or so.

Why I like Lynx just the way it is.

Why I tell others to use Lynx as is.

Since it doesn't do Javascript, DOM, Flash, and has limited support for frames,
it will show me the site in the same way as a search engine robot or
spider 'sees' the site.  Lynx is the best way that I know of to get this
effect.  As an added bonus, it is easier to check that my alt text makes sense
in context and that something happens when there is no javascript.

I recently installed the latest lynx on a computer to ensure that my personal
web site was doing what was expected in text-only mode.

Lynn