Re: CSS [Re: Minimal Browser Capabilities]

From: Vadim Plessky <lucy-ples@mtu-net.ru>
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2001 13:16:02 +0000
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
On Friday 28 December 2001 11:21, Vadim Plessky wrote:
|   On Thursday 27 December 2001 23:23, Tina Marie Holmboe wrote:
|   |   > Sidenote: make sure that you have HTML4 Strict DTD for all your
|   |   > HTML files. Otherwsie, IE6 will render your page in Quirk mode.
|   |
|   |     Both Opera, Mozilla, NS 6 and IE 6 now use the DOCTYPE to determine
|   |     whether to render information in compatibility modes.
|
|   IE6 doesn't use DOCTYPE when it's HTML4 Transitional or Frameset
|   besides, MS IE tema doesn't claim to support XHTML

correction:
"MS IE team doesn't claim to support XHTML"
          ~ ~ ~ ~

quoting Tantek Celik <tantek@cs.stanford.edu>:
<quote>
I am happy to announce that we have shipped Internet Explorer 5.1 (now
available for MacOS 8 & 9 in addition to MacOS X) with the Tasman
presentation engine.
[...]
Building on the solid support for W3C standards in Tasman which shipped in
IE5/Mac (CSS-1, HTML4, PNG 1.0, ECMA 262, DOM 1.0 HTML), this release
consists primarily of bug fixes and performance improvements."
</quote>

As you see, XHTML is not officially supported by MacIE.

DISCLOSURE: I am not affilated with Microsoft in any way, so I hope this info
won't be treated as promotion of Microsoft products. I used it just as a
reference to proove my point.

--

Vadim Plessky
http://kde2.newmail.ru  (English)