Re: CSS [Re: Minimal Browser Capabilities]

On Thu, Dec 27, 2001 at 11:15:27PM +0000, Vadim Plessky wrote:

> Anyway, I can advise you to check out MS IE6/Windows and MacIE 5.1.
> Both of them have very good CSS support.

  Previous tests with IE 6 for Windows have shown it to indeed be a
  very good CSS 1 & 2 browser. However, it is still lacking in several
  important (my opinion) areas. I hope that new upgrades will bring it
  up to the level of support currently found in Mozilla and Opera; in
  particular for centering of block level elements and fixed positioning.

> Sidenote: make sure that you have HTML4 Strict DTD for all your HTML files.
> Otherwsie, IE6 will render your page in Quirk mode.

  Both Opera, Mozilla, NS 6 and IE 6 now use the DOCTYPE to determine
  whether to render information in compatibility modes.

> * CSS2 has some parts defined in different way, comparing to CSS1

  This is a quite common occurrence with new versions of old technologies,
  as experiences are brough on line.

> * CSS3 will have some parts *different from CSS2* (even thoughs none
> implemented CSS2 support yet)

  Naturally.

> * CSS rendering model itself is rather outdated and misleading
> (check "How is it possible to devise such a feeble system?" thread on
> www-style list; I posted some comments on that thread, in addition to very
> valuable comments from MS people.)

  Sadly, one of the W3C's servers are currently down, but I must admit
  that this confuses me. What is wrong with the CSS rendering model ?

> One of major limitations is inability to position/center block element
> vertically, without doing some terrible hacks.

  Centering a block element vertically - especially on a continuous media
  type - doesn't make an awful lot of sense, IMnsHO.

> |     No matter. I use Mozilla 0.9.6 for my everyday browser, and have never
> |     regretted it.
>
> Probably you have very fast computer :-)

  Pentium III 550 Mhz with 128 MB RAM.

--
 - Tina Holmboe