Re: WCAG usability Re: Multiple versions of a web page

From: Kynn Bartlett <kynn-edapta@idyllmtn.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 08:13:35 -0800
To: "David Poehlman" <poehlman1@home.com>, "Harry Woodrow" <harrry@email.com>, "Charles McCathieNevile" <charles@w3.org>
Cc: "Scott Luebking" <phoenixl@sonic.net>, "WAI IG" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
At 8:26 AM -0500 12/27/01, David Poehlman wrote:
>Kynn, it seems that web accessibility was borne with you if we are to
>take what you say litterally.

Excuse me?  I beg your pardon?

>I am going to take one statement and
>paraphrase it and refute it.  If this statement is not attributable to
>you, we can blame it on my screen reader and I would think you would
>know better than to make such a statement so I am in doubt that I heard
>it from you.

Okay, let's see that statement.  This is it?

>wcag was never tested.

I don't believe I said "WCAG was never tested", no.  And certainly if
you read it in context, I stated that there were specific types of
tests which have not been done in a vigorous manner.

>As wcag was being developped, there was a lot of testing that went into
>it.  In fact, you can see lots of test pages that were created aand lots
>of techniques for following the guidelines that were developped based on
>lots of feedback from lots of users under varying circumstances and the
>addition is still going on.

Good, so where are the hard statistics in measurable numbers on how
much accessibility is improved if you follow WCAG 1.0 Single-A,
WCAG 1.0 Double-A, and WCAG 1.0 Triple-A?  Kindly point them to me,
or more properly, kindly concede the point that the type of testing
I'm _talking_ about has not yet been done, and these particular
bits of information are not available.

Please don't accuse me of thinking "web accessibility was borne
with me" as a way of avoiding issues.  Nothing annoys me more than
personal insults in lieu of addressing legitimate criticism and
identification of a valid need.

--Kynn