Re: Acrobat PDF & Accessibility

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2001 22:12:32 -0500 (EST)
To: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
cc: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
No, I meant can post - if you own the original copyright (and most content
providers do, or have sufficient license to use it for publishing) then you
can post a different format.

cheers

Charles

On Sun, 23 Dec 2001, David Woolley wrote:

  > This is a good point. But I would be surprised if the result of running a
  > document through a PDF to HTML conversion chagnes the copyright status, which
  > would mean that having tested / improved the result, you can post it as an
  > alternative form.

  Did you mean can't post, rather than can post?

  This is a feature of PDF that may well make content providers reluctant
  to provide alternative forms with lesser technical imposition of IPR
  constraints.  (PDF, in general, has a lot of features aimed at commercial
  users.  The only real IPR support in browsers at the moment is that which
  requires downloadable fonts to be tied to a site - one reason why
  downloadable fonts aren't much used.)