Re: Minimal Browser Capabilities

From: Tina Marie Holmboe <tina@elfi.elfi.org>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 02:15:37 +0100
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
On Wed, Dec 26, 2001 at 08:03:31PM -0500, Access Systems wrote:

> well put, I am mostly in this discussion concerned with maintaining
> usability to the max number of users but how far back in OS, browser,
> hardware should we consider supporting.   I can still use my Dos 5.1

  Ah, technology would be a different matter I think ...

  I assume - knowing the dangers of doing so - that we can all agree that
  it is the content that should be accessible [1], and not the technology
  in itself.

  I believe - again, knowing the dangers - that we also agree that for
  the foreseeable future it is HTML and XHTML which will be the main
  packaging for content at the moment it is delivered to a user-agent.

  Anything above this basic level - be it CSS, Javascript, Ecmascript
  Flash or SVG - would be best considered as content enhancement

  With this in mind, I would suggest that a 'minimum requirement' would
  be for a user agent to know how to handle HTML [3] and know how to
  survive [4] XHTML.

  The bottom line: a 'minimum requirements' browser shouldn't break

  Accessibility - in my view - is achieved when the user/visitor can
  partake of the content in such a way that he, she or it can assimilate
  it after their own capabilities.

  "Content enhancement" - in my view - are such techniques which when
  used can make the content more attractive or even more accessible given
  that support for them exist; whilst at the same time not reducing
  accessibility when support does *not* exist.

  HTML - regardless of version - comes with the built-in magic that
  an unknown element should, or could, be ignored but the content of
  it retained.

  'Survive' is my way of writing 'not blow up'. Even Netscape 4, which
  is not known for it's excellence in parsing, does this.

 - Tina Holmboe