Re: Minimal Browser Capabilities

On Wed, Dec 26, 2001 at 03:11:37PM -0800, Kynn Bartlett wrote:

> you at least should argue against that point.  My point was that Lynx is
> not a good minimal browser because it doesn't do what we expect browsers
> to be able to do.  The fact that it's so much NOT a browser that it

  That might be because it DOES do what 'we' expect it to do - for
  various definitions of 'we'. If I, for instance, want the content of
  a webpage read to me, using Lynx is an *excellent* method of
  achieving my goal. Subsequently it does *exactly* what I want 'a browser'
  to do.

> It's okay, though; I understand that some people really aren't interested
> in an examination of what Lynx can do or _should_ do, and are happy to
> continue telling people "if it works in Lynx, then it's accessible!"

  Your arrogance is amazing. You have not read a single word written in
  this debate, but continue to express that you have the right to
  universally decree what 'a browser' should and should not be capable of
  doing.

  It would be pointless to suggest that "What should a browser be capable
  of doing?" should be answered with "What the user using it needs or wants
  it to do".

  'A browser' is a tool - and one choose the one that does what one want
  and need with the best effect and the highest efficiency from one's own
  point of view.

  I wish people would stop forgetting this, and I wish you would stop
  screaming that "Lynx is soo poor 'cause it doesn't do what *I* want
  it to do" at every given moment. The world - amazing as it may seem - does
  not revolve around you.

  No matter, I am more than willing to drop this discussion. I still don't
  find this mudslinging fruitful.

--
 - Tina Holmboe