Re: Acrobat PDF & Accessibility

On Monday 24 December 2001 16:35, David Poehlman wrote:
|   we don't own them.  we own the right to use them.  if that means
|   altering them in some way, we technically violate the copy right.

Hello David!

By "them", do you mean "e-Books" or ... everything?
I have checked several normal, printed books I have on a bookshelf.
There is nothing written on those books about "right to use them" or wether I
own this book or not.
I guess as soon as I passed checkpoint (cash register) in bookstore with that
book (and paid for it) - I own that book. But of course I can't claim
ownership for content, as its author is clearly indicated.

Than I checked AudioCD.
For example, I have "A song for you" CD.
(p) and (c) Excelsior. ... Manufactured in the USA by Excelsior.
WARNING: All rights reserved. Unauthored duplication is a violation of
applicable laws.

As you see, "duplication" is prohibited, but nothing is said about converting
to other (different) formats, either to audio tape on cassette deck or to mp3
on hard drive.

Now I want to return back to traditional books, as it's on-topic with subject.
I think I have mentioned somewehere that Xerox manufacturers DocumentCenter
(DC330, DC340) machines, which can *save to PDF* any document (with
auto-feeding scanner) or book placed on the glass (you need to turn pages
manually inthis case).
I believe it's pretty legal when you bought book to have an electronic copy
of it (either in PDF format, or converted further to HTML+CSS, or XHTML, or
XML)
Your house can disappear in fire (or in earthquake), together with books,
bookshelfs, etc. But if you have electronic copy  (placed supposely on your
web server) - you still have it.
And this, BTW, one of the key moving factors for the Internet Revolution.

So I think possibility to make copy of book I won is my fundamental right,
and transforming its content via some technical method (either screen reader
or scan-to-PDF/convert-to-HTML method) is absolutely legal (and necessary, to
prevent protection of my stuff in cases of fire, earthquake, etc.)

--

Vadim Plessky
http://kde2.newmail.ru  (English)