Re: large, but simple tables

On Sat, 22 Dec 2001, Jan Eric Hellbusch wrote:

> I have a question on creating long tables which remain accessible. The
> problem: on
> http://www.diabsite.de/diabetes/ernaehrung/be-tabellen/be_a-z.html there is
> an extremely long list of items, each with four characterstics (formatted in

very hard to read, might work better if you used a fixed font width and
used space rather than tab to move to next column.  (would that mess up
other screen readers??)

Bob

> a table); it is hard to read with a screen reader. The main list is to
> remain on a single page to enable searching with STRG+F. Other sorted (and
> shorter) lists are available. Because the main list becomes incomprehensible
> for screen readers, we would like to do one of the following:
>
> 1. use headers attribute such as:
>
> <TR><TH id="columnonename">Column 1 title</TH> ...  </TR>
> <TR><TD headers="colunonename">column one list item</TD> ... </TR>
>
> The problem here is that we atr unable to discover, whether this works on
> screen readers. Neither JAWS 3.7 nor HPR deliver a result.
>
> 2. Divide the tables into shorter tables with each containing some 10 items.
> Seems feasible, but could mean a lot of maintenance work. This is my
> "favorite",.
>
> 3. Add a dummy graphic behind each of the characteristics (1 pixel
> transparent) in each table cell with an alt text specially for the screen
> reader. For me an "dirty" solution.
>
> Can anybody please tell me, why we have trouble with realizing the WAI specs
> on headers and/or what solution would be best to resolve the problem of
> screen reader users getting lost in large tables?
>
> Wishing a Happy Xmas!
>
> Jan

> Tel.: 0611 oder 0163 / 3369925
> Homepage: www.barrierefreies-webdesign.de

    NO HTML/PDF/RTF in e-mail                   accessys@smartnospam.net
THIS message and any attachements are CONFIDENTIAL and may be
privledged.  They are intended ONLY for the individual or entity named
above. If you are not the intended recipient, Please notify the sender as
soon as possible. Please DO NOT READ, COPY, USE, or DISCLOSE this
communication to others and DELETE it from your computer systems.  Thanks