Re: SVG - A thought

From: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 07:34:53 +0000 (GMT)
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
> BTW: What is also quite visible from your list is absence of Microsoft.
> What are in fact Microsoft plans concerning SVG?
> So far, MS bundles Macromedia Flash plugin with every copy of MS IE, and this

I note that they also don't bundle Acrobat and that Adobe is, to me,
the apparent prime mover for SVG.  I draw some conclusiions from that.

> Without wide availability of SVG plugins (or other form of SVG support), this
> wonderful specification/standard will fail (or go to niche markets)

This is why I tend to qualify reservations about SVG by "if it becomes
widely adopted".   I would go further than plugins and say that unless
it is included directly in IE, or, at the very least, a reccommended
update in Windows Update, it will not achieve general market penetration.