Re: svg degrades to gif/jpg

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 02:49:48 -0500 (EST)
To: Masayasu Ishikawa <mimasa@w3.org>
cc: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
I forget which draft the type was changed in, but I believe that it is using
the +xml in order to allow recognition of xml data in various non-text MIME
types.

Cheers

Charles

On Wed, 19 Dec 2001, Masayasu Ishikawa wrote:

  Vadim Plessky <lucy-ples@mtu-net.ru> wrote:

  > I just wonder why people want to support non-standard type="image/svg+xml"
  > I understand that Adobe introduced this non-standard "image type", but this
  > is some kind of trick like Microsoft did to tie people to Windows.
  >
  > type *is* "image/svg", not "image/svg+xml" or "image/svg-xml!" !
  > Please do not support such broken practice!

  "1.2 SVG MIME type, file name extension and Macintosh file type" of
  SVG 1.0 Recommendation [1] says:

     The MIME type for SVG is "image/svg+xml" (see [RFC3023]). The W3C will
     register this MIME type around the time when SVG is approved as a W3C
     Recommendation.

  [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/REC-SVG-20010904/intro.html#MIMEType

  Regards,