Re: The Commercialization of Web Accessibility

From: <Demonpenta2@aol.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 17:48:32 EST
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

       My viewpoint:

             When it comes down to it, the commercialization of accessibility
will likely do more harm than good. While the providers may profit, they're
essentially taking it from the hides of their ultimate customers in many
cases; As soon as sites incur actual cost in being accessible, that cost WILL
reach the affected customer. Knowing the web, I see accessible websites
becoming 'premium' (read: Gotta-pay-for-it) offerings very quickly. It will,
in a sense, become a fee for being disabled....That will likely never get hit
down by the courts, given their current pro-business orientation, which I
expect the Bush administration to accentuate.

             On a whole other angle, I also wonder at its overall benefit for
the ultimate customer, the disabled user; The greatest strides in
accessibility in the real world were often made by volunteers and straight
activists. Once profit-seekers got into the mix, progress slowed
TREMENDOUSLY, and actually seems to have gone backwards in a few cases. I'd
like for that not to happen here.

       John