Re: The Commercialization of Web Accessibility

From: jonathan chetwynd <j.chetwynd@btinternet.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 22:29:59 +0000
To: Kynn Bartlett <kynn@idyllmtn.com>, w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
I don't have time to give a full and fair consideration to the points kynn
has raised.

Advances are rewarded in many forms of human endeavour. Accessibility remains
very hard to assess, and this will continue to make funding hard to justify.
I sincerely believe that gains will be small and relate to demonstrations
that are effective. However the situation is most complex, and the
juxtaposition or placement and relation of these small elements of
demonstration is key.

Do we consider that adequate social provision will allow our client group to
have financial independence?
People who are disadvantaged, with a severe or mild learning difficulty, with
a mental health problem, or of restricted economic means, are unlikely to
ever experience financial independence. The business model is not one that
naturally suits them, their family or carers. Unfortunately we have not yet
developed a suitable means of sharing that nurtures competition, prevents
monopoly and raises awareness.

thanks

--
jonathan chetwynd