Re: Disability statistics

From: Kynn Bartlett <kynn-edapta@idyllmtn.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 13:26:44 -0800
To: "Ineke van der Maat" <inekemaa@xs4all.nl>, <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
At 10:12 PM -0800 12/16/01, Ineke van der Maat wrote:
>When I exclude one group of   people (here disabled people)  from
>information I have,  I consider that as not  being democratic..and also
>discriminatory.. .

It's discriminatory, but not undemocratic.

>The Media Carta (see www.pccharter.net)  says the right to communicate must
>be a fundamental  human right in the constitutions of all free nations..

There's a right to communicate.  There's not a right to information
necessarily.  And a "free nation" does not necessarily mean the same
thing as a "democratic" one.  There's no principle of "democracy" which
says everyone has equal rights to information.  It may be a basic
human right, but human rights don't equal democracy.

--Kynn