Re: Disability statistics

At 9:25 PM -0500 12/15/01, Denise Wood wrote:
>"Hey, web design companies - if you write accessible HTML you can extend your
>client market to include xxxxxx people with disabilities as well as increase
>your prospects for securing government contracts !"

The market of "people who have disabilities who might want to hire me
to make a web site" is so much smaller than the group of "people who
have disabilities who might view my web site" that this is an even
weaker business argument.

I still believe that the only _real_ argument for web accessibility is
because "it's right" -- be that for moral, religious, ethical, fairness,
justice, perfectionist, or legal reasons.

It may seem odd coming from the guy who wrote a list of "selfish
reasons to create accessible web sites", but if you look just at this
group, I'm sure there isn't anyone among us who considers this to be
worth doing just because of the financial gain.  Look at that list
above, and if you're someone who doesn't fit any of those "it's
right" categories, I'll buy--, no I'll SELL you a drink.

--Kynn