RE: Information on accessibility of XFORMS

From: Al Gilman <asgilman@iamdigex.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 12:35:04 -0500
To: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>, "SHARPE, Ian" <Ian.SHARPE@cambridge.sema.slb.com>
Cc: "WAI (E-mail)" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
At 12:02 PM 2001-12-11 , Charles McCathieNevile wrote:

>As far as I know there are no outstanding issues regarding the accessibiltiy
>of Xforms, but WAI has not yet produced any kind of guidelines for using
>Xforms, and the best guide would probably be reading the specification.

The primary and major outstanding issue is of the 'opportunity' type -- not
'problem' type.  How much of the answer to Device Independence is provided by
XForms?

True we don't have any identified flaws in the technology.  But we also don't
yet know to what extent this technology meets the needs of device independent
authoring, as sought in the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines.  More
experience with multiple bindings of shared models will be required to
understand this.

As for guidelines, the XML Accessibility Guidelines are applicable.  Time
spent
understanding them and trying to follow them will probably improve the results
when applying the XForms technology.  Warning: this is a no-status draft; but
in my personal opinion it is worth investing some time in it if you are in a
position to be preparing to apply XForms.

<http://www.w3.org/TR/xag>http://www.w3.org/TR/xag

Al